IDF: Syrian infiltrator arrested after apprehended in Northern Israel by armed forces


The IDF arrested and subsequently took into questioning a suspicious unarmed man Tuesday after ascertaining he illegally entered Israel from Syria.





The IDF arrested a man on Tuesday afternoon after he was caught crossing the Syrian border into Israel, according to the IDF’s Spokesperson’s Unit.

The man was unarmed and was subsequently taken in for questioning.

IDF arrest terror suspect [illustrative] – Photo: IDF Spokesperson’s Unit

The IDF neglected to comment on how the man succeed in crossing over into Israeli territory and no further details were provided.

This rare incident comes on the heels of another attempt to infiltrate Israeli territory through the northern border.Just last month a Lebanese citizen, later identified as a mentally ill man named Ali Mari, crossed over from Lebanon into northern Israel. He entered Israel on April 27 and was not detected by soldiers who secured the border.

After infiltrating into Israeli territory, he walked towards the central bus station of Kiryat Shmona, about 10 km from the border fence. He was arrested and interrogated by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) before being transferred back to Lebanon the next day through the Rosh Hanikra crossing via the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon.

According to an interview on Lebanese television, Mari’s father said that his son was mentally ill and had previously claimed that he was Jewish, telling his father that he had wanted to go to Israel.

“My son’s mind is not right; he says he was originally Jewish,” his father said, adding “Can you imagine a normal person doing such a thing?” Israel’s northern border with Hezbollah continues to pose an ongoing security threat which the IDF monitors.

The IDF later opened an investigation into the case. The head of the IDF’s Northern Command, Maj.-Gen. Yoel Strick, decided to officially reprimand the battalion commander who oversaw activity along the border. The deputy company commander who was responsible for monitoring the area was relieved of his duty. Four other soldiers went through disciplinary hearings.

Anna Ahronheim and Ariel Whitman contributed to this report.


View original The Jerusalem Post publication at: