Racheli Frenkel pleads, “It is wrong to take children and use them as an instrument in any struggle. You are responsible for human rights.”
Racheli Frenkel, the mother of kidnapped teen Naftali Frenkel (16), addressed the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) on Tuesday, urging them to rally the international community to place pressure on Hamas to release the kidnapped teens. With her were Bat Galim Sha’ar and Iris Yifrah.
“I have come here today as a mother,” Frenkel said, tearfully. “Twelve days ago, my son and his friends were kidnapped on their way home from school. Since then, we have heard nothing, no news, no sign of life.”
Frenkel spoke a little about each of the boys, humanizing them in the face of the delegitimization and smear campaign presented by the UNHRC for the 90 minutes prior.
“Every mother’s nightmare is waiting endlessly and endlessly for their sons to come home,” she said.
“We want to express gratitude for the support and prayer for our sons from around the world,” she added, thanking those present who did condemn the abduction.
However, she added, “I believe much more can be done – and should be done – by so many. That is why we three mothers have come here today before the UN and before the world to do whatever they can to bring our boys back home.”
Frenkel then bravely took to task the justification of the abduction as a vehicle of Palestinian Arab ‘frustration.’
“Mr President, it is wrong to take children and use them as an instrument in any struggle. It is cruel,” she said. “You are responsible for human rights.”
“We just want them home, in their beds, to hug them again,” she concluded.
Naftali Frenkel (16), Gilad Sha’ar (16), and Eyal Yifrah (19) were kidnapped by Hamas terrorists thirteen days ago from a bus stop and hitchhiking post in Gush Etzion, while attempting to make their way home from school.
The international community has had a decidedly blasé attitude toward the kidnapping, with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon saying that he is “unsure” the abduction really happened and UN officials urging Israel to show “restraint” in cracking down on the terrorists responsible.
Some progress appears to have been made, however. On Monday, the United Nations Security Council failed to agree on a statement that would have condemned Israel over the deaths of Palestinian Arabs as part of its security operation in Judea and Samaria, dubbed ‘Operation Brothers’ Keeper.’
Despite this, the UNHRC meeting held just before Frenkel spoke featured an ongoing barrage against Israel, with several countries making wild claims against the Jewish state, including that it had occupied Syria and Lebanon and that it is participating in ethnic cleansing.
View original Arutz Sheva publication at: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/182102#.U6lG_rGLUYA