Amid Israeli calls to go in and retake Gaza, Air Force Jets hit additional targets following latest round of Gaza’s rocket fire, as Islamic Jihad claims Egypt brokered a ceasefire.
The Air Force hit several terror targets in Gaza on Thursday afternoon, following a wave of rocket attacks on southern Israel on Thursday morning.
IAF commanders reported that all warplanes involved had returned safely to their bases.
“The IDF will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israel’s citizens or soldiers, and will continue to take determined action against any party that uses terrorism against the state of Israel,” IDF spokespeople said.
The IAF previously hit dozens of terror-linked targets late Wednesday night, following a day in which Gaza terrorists launched roughly 90 rockets at Israel. Just under 60 hit southern Israel, while the rest apparently struck within Gaza.
At the same time that the IAF announced it had carried out further strikes, Islamic Jihad declared a ceasefire. A spokesman for the terrorist group told AFP, “An Egyptian-brokered truce went into effect at 2 p.m.”
That announcement followed a Hebrew-language video message by the Iranian-backed group warning Israel against any further military responses to last night’s rocket attacks. Following Prime Minister Netanyahu’s promise to respond forcefully, several senior government officials have publicly suggested that the only real solution would be to reconquer Gaza.
Also last night, Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon last night promised to make Islamic Jihad “regret” its actions.
But so far the Israeli response has been relatively limited.
Israeli sources did not confirm a ceasefire. Israeli leaders had previously told Gaza terrorists that any ceasefire on their side would be met with an Israeli ceasefire, but that further attacks would be met with attacks.
Islamic Jihad has claimed responsibility for all the recent rocket fire on Israel.
View original Arutz Sheva publication at: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/178465#.UyGtAIVIVgh