Muslim Arab MKs to be questioned on suspicion of incitement against Christian Arabs

 

Attorney general gave police ‘OK’ to open investigation based on claims that Arab MKs incited against the Reverend Jubrail Nadaf who supports & encourages Christian teens to enlist in the IDF or National Service.

By Moran Azulay

Arab Knesset members will be questioned on suspicion of incitement against a religious leader who encouraged Christian teens to enlist in the army, Ynet learned Wednesday.

Jubrail Nadaf a 39-year-old Arab Christian priest – Photo: Michel Dot Com

Speaking at a Knesset committee meeting, a police representative revealed that Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein has given police a green light to question MKs on suspicion of inciting against Reverend Jubrail Nadaf. It is assumed the MKs are Balad’s Hanin Zoabi and Basel Ghattas.

However, the Justice Ministry stressed the two are not under investigation.

Hanin Zoabi Photo: Ohad Zwigenberg

Arab MK Hanin Zoabi – Photo: Ohad Zwigenberg

A police representative made the statement during a meeting of the Knesset Internal Affairs Committee convened by MK Miri Regev following Christian soldiers’ reports of growing incitement against them. It was stressed that Christian religious leaders who advocated enlistment have been subjected of threats and slanders.

MK Regev expressed her support of Nadaf and noted that he’s been given a police escort. Regev also backed Weinstein’s decision to investigate possible incitement by Arab MKs. “Such incitement can quickly turn into dangerous violence,” she said.

Controversy over the enlistment of Christians to the IDF began last year after Nadaf and Defense Ministry officials encouraged Christian teens to enlist during a conference in Nazareth Illit. This sparked outrage among religious figures and the Christian community council.

RELATED: Arab Christians seek partnership demanding equal rights & equal duties

The head of the Council of Arab Orthodox Community Dr. Azmi Hakim filed a police complaint claiming he received death threats after voicing opposition to the recruitment of Christians following the conference.

He later said he has no problem with those who choose to join the army but remains opposed to the idea.

Reverend Nadaf said at the time, “I am not responsible for what was said at the conference. Anyone who says otherwise is inciting against me as a religious figure and will pay for it in court.” Nadaf filed a police complaint against the council citing defamation.

 

View original Ynet publication at: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4400367,00.html

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.