Israel to investigate why IDF soldier shot dead a disarmed Palestinian terrorist who had earlier brutally stabbed a soldier in Hebron.
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED
An Israeli soldier was suspended on Thursday after a video emerged showing him shooting an attacker who had moderately wounded a soldier in Hebron, Israeli news site Ynet reported.
The soldier is seen shooting the assailant in the head as he lay on the ground, apparently incapable of moving and possibly already dead.
After the soldier fires, blood is seen flowing from the man’s head where it was not seen before.
“From an initial investigation, it appears that this was a serious incident that is contrary to the spirit of the IDF and what we expect of IDF soldiers and commanders,” said the Israeli military, adding that military police were opening an investigation and that the soldier had been suspended until a probe was completed.
Joint List Chairman Ayman Odeh said the incident resulted from government ministers’ exhortations to execute terror suspects.
MK Ahmad Tibi (Joint List) went further, saying, “Prime Minister Netanyahu is personally responsible for this murder.”
According to initial reports after the attack, Israeli troops of the Kfir brigade shot two attackers.
The wounded soldier was taken to a Jerusalem hospital for treatment and was reported to be in stable condition.
The Magen David Adom emergency service said the soldier sustained injuries to his shoulder and hands.
“We saw a young man in his 20s, who was fully conscious and walking around. He suffered stab wounds to the shoulder and arm,” MDA paramedic Zaki Yahav told the Times of Israel.
“We loaded him onto the intensive treatment ambulance and as we drove him to the hospital, we gave him medical treatment. He was fully conscious, speaking with us during the treatment and transfer,” Yahav said. “His is in moderate, stable condition.”
His identity was not immediately cleared for publication.
Israel overnight closed off the West Bank ahead of the start of the Jewish Purim holiday which began Wednesday night as a preventative measure said to remain in place through Saturday.
The unusual decision comes amid a wave of Palestinian knife, gun and car-ramming attacks since October and will keep out tens of thousands of Palestinian workers.
An army spokeswoman said the measure was taken on orders from the government following an “evaluation of the situation,” without providing further details.
Exceptions will be made for humanitarian and medical cases, the spokeswoman said.
Purim sees street parades and an increase in the number of Jewish faithful visiting the Western Wall in Jerusalem’s Old City.
Israel has regularly closed off the West Bank during Jewish holidays such as Passover and Yom Kippur, though less often for Purim.
Violence since October has killed 28 Israelis, two Americans, an Eritrean and a Sudanese.
198 Palestinians have also been killed, most of which, while carrying out attacks, according to Israeli authorities.
View original i24new publication at: